Two (or more) KDCs and a single LDAP directory

Klaus Heinrich Kiwi klausk at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 15 11:21:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

 I'd like to know what are the supported methods of usage if I have to
use two or more KDC instances with one LDAP directory. I can see a
couple of scenarios but I'm not really sure what is the supported way of
dealing with them. For example:

1) Two KDC servers, one LDAP server, same realm:
   Since LDAP has no locking mechanism, would there be potential race
conditions? Is kpropd the correct way of doing this?

2) Two KDC servers, one LDAP server, separate realms:
   I don't see why I couldn't have two KDC instances using the same LDAP
server, if they are not dealing with the same realm.

3) one KDC server, two mirror LDAP servers, same realm:
   The way I see we would need LDAP synchronization between the LDAP
servers

4) two KDC servers, two mirror LDAP servers, same realm:
   We should use kpropd + ldap synchronization?

5) two KDC servers, two mirror LDAP servers, separate realms:
   same as (2)?

Thanks,

 -Klaus

--
Klaus Heinrich Kiwi <klausk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Linux Security Development, IBM Linux Technology Center