Kerberized authorization service

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Tue Jan 29 12:58:14 EST 2008

    Hey Edward,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:06:18PM +1300, Edward Murrell wrote:
> Howdy...
>
> Something like remctl (I personally have not touched it) would be a good
> start, since it's essentially a remote execution engine. If you did a
> sandboxed remctl server to get this started, you could (hopefully)
> replace the remctl server with a C server running on a dedicated port.

Yeah, it's probably the closest to what I'm looking for. I'll play with it and
see how well it can be made to work with pam_exec.

> I harp on about LDAP, because often organisations already have it in
> place, one way or the other, so if you can leverage that, then many
> admins will be a lot happier. If you don't, your average admin working
> in an enterprise looks at it and says 'Another set of user tables to
> maintain, no thanks.'

Well, there are a few issues: 1) we'll have to build this authorization
application anyway, 2) a lot of information about our infrastructure doesn't
reside in LDAP today and 3) cannot be migrated to LDAP easily. LDAP is great
when schemas are well-defined and hardly ever change, but it's not a general
purpose database which is what our deployment system is and needs.  Also,
maybe it's me but I find debugging OpenLDAP painful. It just isn't a good fit
here.  That said, I do envision LDAP as one of the data sources in the mix,
which is why a modular design is important.

> > I only have a very basic understanding of Kerberos but I'd love to help or at
> > least cheer you on. :-)
>
> Heh, I understand how Kerberos works (or at least, I like to think I do),
> but my several aborted attempts to learn GSSAPI have made my brain hurt.
> The lack of a plain English introduction/explanation to the API is probably
> why Kerberos doesn't have a heck of a lot of application support.
> (Anyone else listening here?)

That's an excellent point.

> I'll chew over this a bit more...

Thanks. Please let us know what emerges...

Cheers,
Jos

--
Jos Backus