kinit shows clear text password on terminal !

Philippe Marty pmartyNO.geoSPAM at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 09:14:06 EST 2008

Michael Calmer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008 schrieb Philippe Marty:
>>
>> # kinit user
>> Password for user at REALM:password_in_clear_text_here!
>> New ticket is stored in cache file /tmp/krb5cc_0
>>
>> is this normal?
>
> Please check which kinit you use.
>
> $> which kinit
>
> If it is the java one then this is a known problem. Please make sure that you
> use the kinit from your kerberos package.

bingo!

# which kinit
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_11/bin/kinit

I suspected something as simple as that, but my google search didn't
point at it, so thank you very much for the tip!

# kdestroy
# /usr/kerberos/bin/kinit user
Password for user at REALM:
# klist
Credentials cache: /tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: user at REALM, 1 entry found.

now everything's OK!

:)

--
Phil