Is "SPN advertisement" or well-known SPNs a security hole?

Srinivas Kakde srinivas.kakde at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 20:39:04 EST 2008

Russ,

Thank you for responding.

Russ Allbery wrote:

> If the client trusts the server's assertion of what Kerberos service it

> is, a server with any service principal in either the client's realm or

> realm with which it has cross-realm trust can then pretend to be any

> service without failing mutual authentication.

Is this right?  How does it not fail mutual authentication?

Does not mutual authentication requires exchange of AP-REQ and AP-REP.  How would a malicious service (a service that pretending to be another service in the realm) acquire the session key from the ticket in the AP-REQ (from a client) to produce the EncAPRepPart of the AP-REP unless it has the right key in its keytab?

If a service advertise a service principal name and a client is able to use this name and obtain a valid AP-REQ, I think:

1) KDC/TGS must have an entry for the name (so that clients can obtain a service ticket for the AP-REQ)
2) Service must have the key that matches the name in its keytab (so it can extract session key from the service ticket and produce AP-REQ).

If you can (1) create account on KDC/TGS and (2) create keytab on the service host with the correct key to decrypt service tickets,  you would need to be realm admin.  Therefore not malicious?

--
Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu)
 <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>