Heimdal KDC, Windows XP and local users

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.no-spam-here.tomsk.su
Fri Jan 11 12:29:23 EST 2008

Javier Palacios wrote:
> > BTW what about Unix? Is there a way to automatically create a local
> > user if a Kerberos principal successfully authenticates on the box?
> > Oh well, it is not very useful after all, who in the world needs a
> > Unix user with the same name and different uid on each box...

> You know about NIS, so you know that you may have he same uid in
> different boxes.

Sure. But this again means the toil of maintaining two databases: the
NIS map and the KDC database.

> And youger people who never heard about NIS do know
> about nss-ldap.

And again, why would we want two databases: LDAP and Kerberos?

> And pam_mkhomedir cares about "local profile" creation.

Oh yes, I use it on NIS clients.
It is much better for my purposes than NFS-mounted homes.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/