Heimdal KDC, Windows XP and local users

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Wed Jan 9 10:45:42 EST 2008

Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.no-spam-here.tomsk.su> wrote:
> I have configured Windows XP to use a Heimdal KDC for user
> authentication. All existing Windows users can authenticate against
> the KDC, user
> mapping is "ksetup /mapuser * *".
>
> However, Windows does not create a new local user with the same name
> as the Kerberos princical I try to authenticate as.

No, Windows does not, nor should it.  You mapped all principals to a
single user account.  If you want seperate accounts, you'll need to
actually create the accounts ahead of time and map the principal to the
individual accounts.

> Can this be helped? I want to create a new user in the Kerberos
> database only, and this user's profile on the Windows machine should
> be created automatically.

You may be able to get pGina do what you want: http://www.pgina.org/

<<CDC