DNS configuration for Kerebos

Cov dcoventry at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 29 05:07:36 EST 2008

I ran "krb5_newrealm" to initialise the KDC database.

This give the following useful tips:

# krb5_newrealm
This script should be run on the master KDC/admin server to initialize
a Kerberos realm. It will ask you to type in a master key password.
This password will be used to generate a key that is stored in
/etc/krb5kdc/stash. You should try to remember this password, but it
is much more important that it be a strong password than that it be
remembered. However, if you lose the password and /etc/krb5kdc/stash,
you cannot decrypt your Kerberos database.
Initializing database '/var/lib/krb5kdc/principal' for realm
'IQETD.LAN',
master key name '... at IQETD.LAN'
You will be prompted for the database Master Password.
It is important that you NOT FORGET this password.
Enter KDC database master key:
Re-enter KDC database master key to verify:

Now that your realm is set up you may wish to create an administrative
principal using the addprinc subcommand of the kadmin.local program.
Then, this principal can be added to /etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl so that
you can use the kadmin program on other computers. Kerberos admin
principals usually belong to a single user and end in /admin. For
example, if jruser is a Kerberos administrator, then in addition to
the normal jruser principal, a jruser/admin principal should be
created.

Don't forget to set up DNS information so your clients can find your
KDC and admin servers. Doing so is documented in the administration
guide.

I am unable to find the reference on configuring the DNS in the
administration guide to which this refers.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?