Same config as server: kinit(v5): Improper format of Kerberos configuration file...

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 22 13:26:52 EST 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 12:06, Mathew Rowley wrote:
> I am trying to set up a server for kerberos authentication, but when
> I copy
> my krb5.conf file over to the server, I get the following error
> while trying
> to do a kinit:
>
> kinit(v5): Improper format of Kerberos configuration file while
> initializing
> Kerberos 5 library
>
> The only difference I can see is the versions installed on the
> kerberos
> server vs the secondary server.  The kerberos server has 1.6.1, and
> the
> machine I want to use krb based auth has 1.4.3. Will that cause this
> error
> to occur?  This is the krb5.conf file:

I didn't recall this on first reading your message, but after a little
experimentation it looks like we did have a minor syntax change
somewhere between 1.4.3 and 1.6.1 -- in the older code, a comment had
to have the "#" at the start of the line, and now there can be
whitespace in front of it.  Just remove the leading whitespace from
those comment lines and all should be fine (though I think 1.4.3
predates the DAL and LDAP support, so you could just drop that section
altogether).

Ken