Credentials Cache File Problem Running with 'cron'

Dennis Putnam Dennis.Putnam at aimaudit.com
Fri Dec 5 07:15:26 EST 2008

I have what I thought was a perl problem using Kerberos
authentication. However, after many emails with perl experts, the
consensus is that this is really a problem with the Kerberos library.
Hopefully, someone on this list will recognize the problem an can
suggest a solution.

This particular script runs fine when executed from the command line
(I'm using OS X 10.4.11). When the same command is run from 'cron' or
'at' the following error occurs:

Credentials cache I/O operation failed XXX

I am told that this error indicates there was a problem writing the
credentials cache file. The first thought was that it had to do with
permissions but the script does the same thing even running as root.
The second thought was that it had to do with an environment variable
but again that is not the case since perl runs in its own environment
so the variables are identical running from command line or 'cron'. At
that point, the author of the perl interface said that all his code
does is make standard Kerberos library calls. Since Apple uses the
standard MIT libraries, the conclusion is that this must be something
specific to the library rather then perl or the OS. Can anyone help?
TIA.