Can kinit but not kvno

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Apr 17 09:43:19 EDT 2008

John Gilbertson wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to set up MIT Kerberos so that we can authenticate
> against an Active Directory service (Windows Server 2003 I believe) and
> most things seem to be working, I just can't get kvno to work or keytab
> files (Probably because of the kvno issue)
>
> So as you can see everything seems to work fine, I just can't use kvno.
> What things should I be looking at to try to fix this? Could it be a
> setting on the AD end denying such requests?

kvno is requesting a service ticket. But user accounts in AD don't
normally have a servicePrincipalName attribute.

kvno should work for actual service principals like:

     kvno host/livad.liv.ac.uk

Why do you need to use kvno with a user account?

If you need to know the kvno for the user, you can use ldap or  ADSI Edit
and search for the user and read the msDS-KeyVersionNumber attribute.

You might be able to add a servicePrincipalName to the user account if
you really need to get a service ticket for the user.

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439
  (630) 252-5444