Config file definition in osconf.h and double log entries from krb5kdc and kadmind

Borislav_S borislav.stoichkov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:39:20 EDT 2008

I have seen other posts on this topic but none of them were conclusive
so I decided to give it a shot myself. I see double log entries from
krb5kdc and kadmind. Long story short I ended up looking at the
osconf.h file and the definition for the configuration file. It is
defined as

#define DEFAULT_SECURE_PROFILE_PATH     "/etc/krb5.conf:@SYSCONFDIR/
krb5.conf"
#define DEFAULT_PROFILE_PATH        DEFAULT_SECURE_PROFILE_PATH

if sysconfdir is undefined at configure time then it ends up being "/
etc/krb5.conf:/etc/krb5.conf" and the same file is parsed twice
opening the same file twice and getting double entries logged. Of
course the behavior changes when the KRB5_CONFIG env variable is set
(to a single file). In that case there are no duplicates in the log
files. This is a workaround and I can see potentially some benefit
when parsing multiple files. My question is if that is the intended
behavior ( possibly parse multiple files ). And based on that would it
or would it not make sense to define it only as "@SYSCONFDIR/
krb5.conf" so that /etc/krb5.conf is not considered if sysconfigdir
has an inteded value and if it doesn't it defaults to /etc/krb5.conf.
Version is 1.4 but 1.6 looks similar too. Thanks.

Borislav