Samba authentication to Kerberos via OpenLDAP, third and last try

Sean Myers smyers at americanri.com
Fri Apr 4 11:44:09 EDT 2008

The discussions of the usefulness or wisdom of using LDAP as your authentication
front-end aside, what you're looking for is SASL authd support in OpenLDAP.

Most of this is from memory and sparse on info, but at the very least it will
tell you that this is very likely possible as I understand your needs, and that
solutions do exist.

Assuming you've built OpenLDAP with the --with-spasswd option, and that you've
got SASL installed with the GSSAPI plugin, you want to make sure you can auth to
Kerberos through the saslauthd server. Once that's done, setting a user's
password to {SASL}kerberosprincipal, will effectively have OpenLDAP check the
password via SASL. For example, my password in LDAP right now is
{SASL}smyers at AMERICANRI.COM.

I have not used this mechanism in conjunction with Samba, which is why I say
that this is very likely possible, and not definitely possible.

This is all OpenLDAP and SASL, though, not Kerberos. As such, I will gladly go
into more detail off list, and help where I can.

--
Sean Myers
System Administrator