Forcing the use of kerberos by ldap clients when connecting to an openldap server

drjlove@gmail.com drjlove at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:24:41 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have an openldap server that successfully authenticates against a
kerberos setup:

[jamie at janeiro ~]$ ldapwhoami -Y GSSAPI
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
SASL username: jamie at example.com
SASL SSF: 56
SASL installing layers
dn:uid=jamie,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
Result: Success (0)

When I do not put -Y GSSAPI in, I get:

[jamie at janeiro ~]$ ldapwhoami
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such object (32)

Is it possible to force the client or server to use GSSAPI for
authentication, so I don't need to write it every time. In my
slapd.conf file I have:

TLSCertificateFile /etc/openldap/cacerts/newcert.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/cacerts/newreq.pem
sasl-secprops noanonymous,noplain,noactive
saslRegexp uid=([^/]*),cn=GSSAPI,cn=auth uid=
$1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com

In particular this sasl-secprops is (according to the website I
pilfered that line off) in theory will force the use of GSSAPI, but in
practice it doesn't.

The reason I wish to force GSSAPI is to make a java app I need to
interoperate with use the right mechanism (i.e. GSSAPI), and hence
authenticate against kerberos via LDAP rather than authenticate
against ldap only.

Thanks for any help.
Jamie