SSO from Windows to Solaris using Kerberos: A How-To

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Sep 19 11:55:51 EDT 2007

Will Fiveash wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 07:21:52PM +1000, Edward Irvine wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I eventually gave up trying to coax the default sshd on Solaris 10 to
>> play nice with GSSAPI - the show-stopper was that it failed with
>> usernames > 8 characters.
>
> I use Solaris 10 ssh/sshd doing GSS-API auth via the Kerberos GSS mech
> all the time.  What you may be running into is that Solaris has a
> limitation that Unix usernames be no more than 8 characters (see man
> passwd.4).  This is not a limitation of Solaris sshd.

Me too.

We have many users that have names > 8. None of them login at a console
bit I have a test account with an 11 character user name. I even tried
it with dtlogin, and it works.

Are you sure that is a restriction?
Is it just an out-dated man page?
Is this a restriction of the local /etc/passwrd file?

The 11 char test account was in NIS, and is now in LDAP.

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439
  (630) 252-5444