regarding clock skew difference between client and KDC

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Sep 3 14:40:46 EDT 2007

ESWAR wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:53 am, Danny Mayer <ma... at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>
>> That violates the RFC requirements. No server will or should allow you
>> to do that. Why are you not synchronizing your clocks? NTP is available
>> on just about all platforms so there's no reason not to use it.
>>
>>> Please give me some suggestion how I can do this.
>> You can't.
>>
>> Danny
>
> I wanted to use Kerberos authentication from machine which is not
> joined to domain. so Time should effect my authentication process.
> Even Client has different time then KDC time it should  authenticate.

Please understand the answer that I gave you above. You cannot
authenticate a client who's UTC time is different by more than 5 minutes
from the KDC's UTC time. Anything else would be a protocol and a
security violation.

> Where can i change in MIT source code.

You can't.

> so i wanted to use  KDC  System time and use the same all the places
> where  it is refering  get local system time.

Install NTP everywhere and point them to 3-4 good NTP sources.

> what are all problems i will get if do this.

You will fail to authenticate. See RFC 1510 Section 3.2.3.

Danny

P.S. All questions should go to the mailing list and not to me personally.