Kerberos.app AD UPN & SAM authentication issue

Ben W Young ben.w.young at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Oct 4 20:43:03 EDT 2007

Hi,

Has anyone come across an issue where you cannot authenticate using the
Kerberos.app (or kinit) with an AD account with a different name for the UPN
and SAM? The SAM will authenticate but not the UPN? If the UPN and the SAM
are the same it authenticates.  Hope I explained my self ok...?

E.g.
Trying to authenticate as "bob.jackson"
Account:
UPN:    bob.jackson at test
SAM:    bjackson
....Doesn't work

Trying to authenticate as "bjackson"
UPN: bob.jackson at test
SAM: bjackson
....works!

If I change the SAM account to the UPN bob.jackson it works?

Any ideas..i am completely stumped and wasted to much time trying to figure
it out.

Also, why cant I authenticate with the true UPN name: bob.jacskson at test?

Is it something I have to change in the edu.mit.kerberos file? See below
example?
----
[libdefaults]
    default_realm = TEST.DOMAIN.WIN