Server not found in Kerberos database error on ldapsearch

Zharovsky Evgeniy Evgeniy.Zharovsky at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Wed Nov 14 07:07:15 EST 2007

> You should not need these.

Ok.

> Some things to try:
>
>   Wireshare or other trace program to see DNS and Kerberos requests.
> This should show name of the  "Server not found in Kerberos database"

I captured the request dialog with wireshark and got this (the things I think
are important):

MSG Type: KRB-ERROR
Error_code:  KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN (7)
Realm: EXAMPLE.COM
Server Name (Unknown): krbtgt/COM
	Name-type: Unknown (0)
	Name: krbtgt
	Name: COM
I guess that indicates an error in my krbtgt setup. But where should I search
for it and what does the right setup look like?

> On the unix side, do you have a /etc/krb5.conf or /etc/krb5.conf?
> Is the default realm (in uppercase) the same as the AD domain name?
> if not, you may need a krb5.conf, or the -R option on ldapsearch.

Yes, I do have a krb5.conf on the unix side. Here it is:

[libdefaults]
        default_realm=EXAMPLE.COM
        dns_lookup_realm = false
        dns_lookup_kdc = false
#       default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc
#       default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc
        kdc_timesync = 1
        ccache_type = 4
        forwardable = true
        proxiable = true
#       v4_instance_resolve = false
#       v4_name_convert = {
[realms]
EXAMPLE.COM = {
        kdc = 192.168.10.4:88
        admin_server = 192.168.10.4:749
}
[domain_realm]
        .example.com = EXAMPLE.COM

As you can see, it is a setup for some tests...

Evgeniy Zharovsky

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet
Ref. IIIA5 (Sicherheitstechnik und Verzeichnisdienste)
Martiusstr. 4 / 207
80539 Muenchen

email  mailto:evgeniy.zharovsky at verwaltung.uni-muenchen.de