Error Creating Kerberos databases

Anthony McGovern amcgovern at tssg.org
Thu Nov 8 07:02:29 EST 2007

Good Morning
           This is my first time using kerberos so I am unsure if this
is the correct place to post this problem so i apologise in advance if
this is incorrect. I am having some trouble creating the Kerberos
databases from source build 5-1.6.3, I have downloaded the source for
Kerberos from the MIT website and i have complied and ran the make
commands with no problems. However when i go to create the Kerberos
databases using the kdb5_util command i am getting an error message. I
had to make the kdb5_util file from the downloaded source files but its
not creating the databases. below is the output of what happens when i
run the utility file:

I'm running this on an ubuntu 6.06 box:

root at tssgtestbox:/home/tssgtestbox/Kerberos/krb5-1.6.3/src/kadmin/dbutil# ./kdb5_util create -r tssg.org -s
Initializing database '/krb5/var/krb5kdc/principal' for realm
'tssg.org',
master key name 'K/M at tssg.org'
You will be prompted for the database Master Password.
It is important that you NOT FORGET this password.
Enter KDC database master key:
Re-enter KDC database master key to verify:
create: Unable to load requested database module 'db2': plugin symbol
'kdb_function_table' not found while creating database
'/krb5/var/krb5kdc/principal'
root at tssgtestbox:/home/tssgtestbox/Kerberos/krb5-1.6.3/src/kadmin/dbutil#

I have checked the google machine and on the FAQ's on the MIT site but i
cant find anything about this error. Would anyone be able to help me?

Kind Regards
Anthony McGovern