Kerberos for Windows NT 4.0

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Wed May 2 22:30:53 EDT 2007

Warren Coykendall <warren at palecek.com> wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering we have a NT 4.0 domain which we cannot
> migrate to Windows 2003.  Is there a way to have the NT 4.0 domain
> work with Kerberos so we can get single sign-on w/out the pain of
> upgrading to active directory?

I do not think there is any Kerberos in NT 4.0.  You might be able to
make something work with Samba though.  Are you actually running NT 4
machines?  On Windows 2000 and above you can setup the clients to talk
Kerberos directly to an external KDC:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep.mspx#EVCAC
That will get you signle-sign-on, but you'll miss a lot of the other AD
benefits.  I am of the opinion that Windows 2003 Active Directory is
vastly superior to NT 4 domains.  I would strongly suggest using it,
even if it is a lot of work to migrate / recreate your environment.

<<CDC