Authenticating Windows 2003 users to a central LDAP

Ahmad Arshad ahmad.arshad at nyu.edu
Thu Mar 22 12:15:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the proper list for this... but any help would
be appreciated...

We are running a Windows 2003 R2 server whose domain is used for user
and workstation authentication for a portion of the university
population. We wanted to tie this domain lets call it systems.private
into the university wide ldap server lets call is ldap.nyu.edu which
stores university wide usernames/passwords etc.

This way users who are part of the domain (remember we only want users
who are part of the domain to have access) would be able to login to the
domain.. using their IDs and passwords provided by the university.

I am not sure if this makes any sense...

so to recap

a) User tries to log into the domain with his id and password.
b) The domain controller checks to see if the user id is in its database.
c) if it is, it forwards the credential to the ldap server for
authentication.
d) if the ldap authenticates, the user is allowed to login...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Sincerely,

Ahmad S Arshad