DST Time change

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Mar 5 18:28:55 EST 2007

Edgecombe, Jason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should the upcoming DST time change have any impact on kerberos? As I
> recall, kerberos uses UTC for it's authentication requests. Is this
> correct?

Well, it's just a week away from the change to DST in the US. Now you
ask? The answer is no, it only uses UTC.
> Will I see authentication failures from patched or unpatched
> windows/Linux/solaris machines assuming that someone hasn't manually
> tweaked the time?

DST, etc. is only for display purposes. All underlying code uses UTC. If
something fails to install the patches it really doesn't matter as it
only affects what you see for files. You should worry about your syslog
being off by an hour as with the Windows eventlog, but failures you
won't see because of it.

Danny