kstart 3.8 released

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 3 22:41:36 EST 2007

I'm pleased to announce release 3.8 of kstart.

k4start, k5start, and krenew are modified versions of kinit which add
support for running as a daemon to maintain a ticket cache, running a
command with credentials from a keytab and maintaining a ticket cache
until that command completes, obtaining AFS tokens (via an external aklog)
after obtaining tickets, and creating an AFS PAG for a command.  They are
primarily useful in conjunction with long-running jobs; for moving ticket
handling code out of servers, cron jobs, or daemons; and to obtain tickets
and AFS tokens with a single command.

Changes from previous release:

    Allow -H to be used with a command in k4start and k5start.  In this
    case, check the existing ticket cache and authenticate if it's stale,
    then run the command in either case.  This is useful when running
    several commands with the same credentials at near the same time.  It
    reduces Kerberos traffic and avoids service ticket requests being
    rejected as possible relay attacks.

    Support the new MIT Kerberos error message functions.

    Overhaul the build system.  Use Automake, use a better strategy for
    dealing with portability issues, and factor duplicate code out into
    shared files.

You can download it from:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/kstart/>

Debian packages will be uploaded to Debian unstable after the etch
release.  In the meantime, you can get current packages from my personal
repository.  See <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/debian.html> for
more information.

Please let me know of any problems or feature requests.