What is SPNEGO and GSSAPI / Kerberos

Gayal gayal.rupasinghe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:23:24 EST 2007

Hello everybody,

I have a small doubt that i'd like clear before my presentation for my
university lecturers.

This is regarding Kerbeos. I have seen some ppl in this list use the word
GSSAPI and SPNEGO along with Kerberos.

What does GSSAPI and SPNEGO means?

I ve read that GSSAPI is a generic API for doing client-server
authentication.
Is GSSAPI is a standard which govern the Client - Serve Authentication and
protocols liks NTLM and Kerberos are based on this?

Which one is the Original one GSSAPI or SPNEGO?

--
Gayal Rupasinghe
SU-APIIT