pam_krb5-3.5 on AIX / gcc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 19 11:48:38 EDT 2007

dosman <dosman at packetsniffers.org> writes:

> Yes, I built kerberos with IBM C and used gcc for the pam_krb5
> module. I'm unclear on how the pam-krb5 package picks up my compile
> options for kerberos though. I tried to build pam-krb5 with the IBM C
> but between that failing and the dire warning in the notes that pam-krb5
> would only build on gcc I opted to struggle through the build using
> gcc. I suppose my other option would be to build kerberos using gcc, but
> getting it to build on AIX period was painfull enough to warant leaving
> a sleeping dog lying.

Right now, pam-krb5 doesn't support xlc just because I don't have an AIX
system and I don't know the right flags to pass to xlc to build a dynamic
PAM module.  If you know the correct flags for AIX (or if anyone else here
does), I can easily add that case to the configure logic.

> My goal was to relieve myself of maintaining 2+ versions of kerberos on
> my AIX boxes, it would be benefitial to have staticly linked libraries
> in my case. It's interesting that when building pam-krb5 with this older
> kerberos on my systems (purpose for being there unknown, installed
> before my time) that ldd shows pam_krb5.so has no kerberos dependancies
> and the binary is about 700Kb larger. When building with kerberos 1.6 we
> now have dependancies and a 700Kb reduction in size.

MIT Kerberos 1.6 doesn't support static builds.