pam_krb5-3.5 on AIX / gcc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Mon Jun 18 16:17:56 EDT 2007

This is resolved, the Makefile requires some tailoring.

 > Markus Moeller wrote: That is a compiler option and with gcc wou
would need -Wl,-b.....

So, changing this line in the Makefile resulted in a successful compile:

LIBS            = -lpam -L/usr/local/apps/kerberos/krb5-1.6.1/lib
-blibpath:/usr/local/apps/kerberos/krb5-1.6.1/lib::/usr/lib:/lib -brtl
-lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lcom_err -lpthreads
--to this:--
LIBS            = -lpam -L/usr/local/apps/kerberos/krb5-1.6.1/lib
-Wl,-blibpath:/usr/local/apps/kerberos/krb5-1.6.1/lib::/usr/lib:/lib
-Wl,-brtl
-lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lcom_err -lpthreads

Moving on, the option "--enable-reduced-depends" causes the configure to
not see my krb5 libraries. I was just trying to prevent having to
maintain my own branch of kerberos libraries my boxen. This line from
the README seems like the problem may just be with AIX with no workaround:
"This will only work with shared Kerberos libraries and will only work
on platforms where shared libraries properly encode their own
dependencies (such as Linux)."

Thanks again.