Different Heimdal/MIT behaviour of krb5_get_credentials ?

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 1 16:57:54 EDT 2007

On Jun 1, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Markus Moeller wrote:

> "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote in message
> news:65054D89-41A4-4CA7-B6A1-9C5059848416 at jpl.nasa.gov...
>>
>> On May 31, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Markus Moeller wrote:
>>
>>> I have a AD forest with MM.COM with domains
>>> DOM1.MM.COM,DOM2.MM.COM  and
>>> SUB.DOM2.MM.COM which all trust each other. To test the
>>> availability of
>>> service tickets I created the following short program:
>>
>> Any particular reason you didn't use kvno (MIT) and kgetcred
>> (Heimdal)?
>
> Not really, only I am not sure if it will achieve what I want.  My
> final
> goal is to determine easily for a user/application if a domain has
> trust to
> another. My thought was that the user does a kinit to his domain
> DOM1 (or an
> application kinit against a keytab) and then tries to get a krbtgt
> for the
> unknown domain DOM2. If he gets the tgt they have trust if not they
> don't.
>
> Does this make sense ?

Sure it does.  You could do that with the utilities I listed too, but
writing your own code you've got more visibility into what's happening.

I'm sure you realize it could fail for more reasons than just lack of
a trust relationship also.  I've found I can't get away from these
little hip-picket test programs when I need to debug things.  Name
canonicalization and DNS (or NIS) interactions seem especially
problematic in the real world for me.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu