DNS set up for installing KDC

Gopal Paliwal gopalpaliwal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:47:27 EDT 2007

 Hi,
We need to set up our own DNS server where our domain would be like "
mydomain.com".
Our unix machine name should become "galaxy.mydomain.com" where galaxy is
the hostname.

This unix machine should be able to resolve names for the services like
a.mydomain.com or b.mydomain.com running on this machine using DNS.

We used /etc/hosts file to set domain name (mydomain.com) for this unix
machine.
We did try to use /etc/resolve.conf and aded entries there as below---
**
*domain mydomain.com*
*nameserver 127.0.0.1*

But problem is that every time the machine boots up , this file gets
overwritten by the DHCP with the default entries.

1. Is this the right way to set up the dns server and resolver.
2. Is there any solution to prevent this overwritting of these files.
3. Is there any way so that this unix machine will be the first DNS resolver
for the known entries and if it doesn't find any entries those DNS queries
will get forwarded to the next level which is router.

Let us know if we are missing something in this process.

-gopal