Preauth mechanism provision in MIT kerberos

Gopal Paliwal gopalpaliwal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:15:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

The solution you guys provided help me.
Though I now observe following things on ethereal.

1)for the first time krb5_AS_REQ goes whenever user enters his username.
2) Authentication server responds back by giving error as "PRE_AUTH
REQUIRED"
3) Now new krb5_AS_REQ request gets formed with encrypted time-stamp.
4)Authentication server sends krb5_AS_RES this time with session key &
tickets.

I am curious why first two messages were generated. It makes sense though
that only authentication server knows that a particular user requires
pre_auth & the user will be unaware of this fact before it receives
"PRE_AUTH REQUIRED" error. Still, is there any way where I would be able to
avoid the flow of first two messages.

Thanks again,
Gopal