Passwordless access to kadmin?

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.virginia.edu
Tue Jul 17 12:09:42 EDT 2007

Hi again,

	Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I'm still clueless.
Several people have pointed out that I can store an appropriate
key in a keytab file, but can anyone give me some step-by-step
instructions on how to do this?  By the way, this is MIT Kerberos
version 1.6.1.

					Thanks,
					Bryan

John Hascall <john at iastate.edu> wrote:
>    Extract the key into a keytab and use this:
>       -k keytab
>    ???
> John
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> 	I'm new to kerberos, and I'm trying to figure out how
>> to invoke kadmin from a web-based script, without prompting for
>> the root/admin password.  (FWIW, this is part of an account-
>> migration scheme.  Users will authenticate with their NIS
>> credentials, then the script will create a kerberos principal
>> for them.)
>>
>> 	I realize that I could just use "kadmin -w" and stick
>> the password in plaintext into the script, but I'd rather not
>> have to do that.  Is there a more secure way to do this?
>>
>> 					Thanks in advance,
>> 					Bryan
>>
>> --

Bryan Wright              |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department        | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia    | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901|
(434) 924-7218            |         bryan at virginia.edu