kinit: KRB5 error code 52 while getting initial credentials

Ron Bass II rfbass16 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:56:56 EDT 2007

I'm getting the following error on a Solaris 8 machine: kinit: KRB5 error code 52 while getting initial credentials

So far my analysis shows this error to indicate the following: 0x34 - KRB_ERR_RESPONSE_TOO_BIG - Too much data

According to a number of forums, some inheriant limitations exist with the Solaris 8 version of Kerberos concerning the number of group memberships a user may have.  In my Active Directory, each user is a member of possibly many groups.  To confirm this, I created a simple user with only membership to "Domain Users" and was able to run kinit without issue.
Also, I seen a number of forums reporting that the native version of Kerberos in Solaris 8 does not support TCP.  Apparently by default, once the package size of a Kerberos ticket reaches a specified max, TCP should be used.

I have the following Kerberos packages loaded: SUNWk5pk        kernel Kerberos V5 plug-in w/auth+privacy (32-bit) SUNWk5pkx       kernel Kerberos V5 plug-in w/auth+privacy (64-bit) SUNWk5pu        user Kerberos V5 gss mechanism w/auth+privacy (32-bit) SUNWk5pux       user Kerberos V5 gss mechanism w/auth+privacy (64-bit)

Are updated packages for Kerberos available for Solaris 8 environments that can handle support for Kerberos over TCP and having a large number of group memberships?