SSH with auth_to_local on common account

Edward Murrell edward at dlconsulting.com
Wed Jan 3 20:11:35 EST 2007

In the interests of helping people with the same problem in the
future... I thought I'd post where I'm up to with this.

So, pam_krb5 isn't sufficient to do this job. It would appear that SSH
uses NSS to look up a list of users that do exist on the system.

Since my local user doesn't exist, SSH allows you to enter a password in
the name of not giving away information about what users do exist on the
system, then kicks you out. The solution is to have a list of users that
exist in some way available to NSS (like /etc/passwd or LDAP), even if
you can't actually log in to the system with them.

I guess I'll have to get LDAP updates working. I guess I'm going to have
to kick OpenLDAP around a bit again. *sigh* (I've not had great success
with OpenLDAP replicas).

Cheers,
Edward