KfW 3.1: Re-directed stderr of kinit/klist displays dialog

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Tue Feb 20 19:03:37 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to redirect stderr from kinit/klist to a file?
>
> stdin and stderr cannot be redirected.  they are used for password
> prompting

Hmmm.... but I'm not trying to redirect the password prompt... in fact,
kinit won't let me redirect the password prompt, it still displays it in
the shell (NOT as a Windows dialog):

   C:\> kinit 2>err.our
   Password for bozo at CLOWN.COM:

That's fine.... and I'm not suggesting it should work any different... for
the password prompt that is...

But if I'm using "kinit -kt" or "klist" or "kdestroy"... (none of which
should prompt for a password or require any keyboard input), then I think
you should be able to redirect stderr.

Unfortunately, if I try to run any of those commands and I get an error
AND stderr is re-directed then I get a Windows dialog instead.

   C:\> kinit -kt foobar 2>err.out
   (Windows dialog with error, nothing in err.out)

The problem is, if you're running an automated background job using a
keytab and something's wrong (eg the keytab is missing), it makes it VERY
difficult to find the problem.  You can't redirect stderr because that
triggers a Windows dialog which could cause the background job to hang
waiting for user input it's never going to get.  Or if it doesn't hang,
there's no way to log the error to see why it failed.