krb5_sendto_kdc fails in some threaded applications

Simon Wilkinson simon at sxw.org.uk
Tue Feb 20 14:05:58 EST 2007

I've been doing some further work on Kerberos integration in assorted
applications, and I'm seeing some problems with the Gaim 2.0.0 betas
and Kerberos 1.5.

It would appear that something in Gaim's threading is causing the
select in the middle of krb5_sendto_kdc to return EINTR, which is
causing the entire ticket request operation to return with an unknown
realm error.

This has already been reported in RT (#5440), but I thought the
problem was worth noting in case others are also banging their heads
against it, in either this or other applications. The symptom is that
a TGS_REQ will be sent to the first KDC in the list, but the
application won't wait for a response, or contact any other KDCs.

Cheers,

Simon.