kadmin problem

Marcus Watts mdw at umich.edu
Sat Feb 17 04:29:20 EST 2007

scotty adams <scotty.adams at yahoo.com> writes:
> hi,
>
> after i modified the principal using modprinc -requires_preauth
>
> kinit scotty
> kinit: Password incorrect
>
> Why!!!

I don't know.  Could be lots and lots of things.  For instance:
	/1/ password *is* incorrect.
	/2/ operator error -- caps lock, leading or
		trailing space, non-ascii character, etc.
	/3/ replication problem.
	/4/ software or hardware glitch on kdc
	/5/ software or hardware glitch on client
	/6/ invalid kdc configuration or other operator error on kdc.
	/7/ dns returns wrong server.
first thing I'd try is cpw.  If cpw can be used to set a password
that then works, that eliminates many of these cases.

Check also replication (if you have a slave site), logs, configuration, etc.

If cpw doesn't work, then you're likely going to have to resort to gdb,
strace,tcpdump, or ddb,truss,snoop, like various people have
stated in previous messages.

				-Marcus