kadmin problem

Jeremy Thomas Hunt jeremyh at optimation.com.au
Wed Feb 14 01:56:27 EST 2007

Scotty,

 From your entry in the kdc.log it looks to me like you do have a valid
admin principal and your password is correct, so I am guessing your
permissions for that principal are wrong.

Look in your /krb5/var/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl file on the kerberos master, to
see if the principal you are using has any admin privileges.

If you do not find this file there, see if its location is defined in
your kdc.conf file, which can also be found in the /krb5/var/krb5kdc
directory.

If you do not have a kadm5.acl file, then create it - but first make
sure it is not defined as being somewhere else in your kdc.conf. If it
is defined as being somewhere else, then you will be wasting your time
creating and editing a new one.

The next step is to check if your principal, or a class of principals
which your principal belongs to is defined in this file. If you do find
a match then you need to see if you have the correct permissions for an
administrator.

Read the man page for kadm5.acl, but to get you started, if you do not
find a match then you could try entering
scotty/admin at SCOTTY.COMPANY.COM *
which should give your principal all privileges for all domains
controlled by that kerberos master. After you have understood the man
page you may want to generalise this entry or prune its permissions.

More gotchas to watch out for, I suspect you have to stop and start the
kadmind process on the security server each time you change the
kadm5.acl file.

By the way, you do have the kadmind process running on your security
server don't you?

I hope this all helps you in any case.

Cheers,

Jeremy