kinit problem

scotty adams scotty.adams at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 00:48:53 EST 2007

Hi Scanell,

Thanks for your reply. Actually that what i wanted to hear about solaris and the binaries. But i got a major problem the kadmind on execution is giving the following:
Bus Error (core dumped)
how can i solve that.

One more question.. My application needs to use kerberos for authentication but what i am getting in the logs is the following:
javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Client not found in Kerberos database

and when i use kadmin -p user
it's prompting the following:
Enter Password:
kadmin: Communication failure with server while initializing kadmin interface

Can you please guide me?

Thanks,
Scotty

scanell <scanell at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:           One additional comment about Solaris Kerberos...

 Solaris Kerberos creates the database into the /var/krb5 directory.
 Further, the config files are located in /etc/krb5.

 The user kerberos commands are /usr/bin while the system Kerberos commands are found in /usr/sbin.

 You'll find the binaries for Solaris Kerberos in /usr/lib/krb5... things like kpropd for receiving propagated
 master DB contents to slaves, kadmind for remote management of the master server which is also responsible
 for receiving password changes, and krb5kdc, the interface for the clients into the Kerberos DB for authentication.

 Steve

 scotty adams wrote:

Hi Jeffrey,

I am following the guide that you have passed me.

I am stuck at this stage:
Building Within a Single Tree  If you don't want separate build trees for each architecture, then use the following abbreviated procedure.

    cd /u1/krb5-1.6/src
    ./configure
    make
after i ran the configure how can i run the make?

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman at secure-endpoints.com> wrote: scotty adams wrote:

Hi Christopher,

I am following some white papers that i found on the net to set kerberos. I used the following command to create the database:

/usr/sbin/kdb5_util create -r SCOTTY.COM -s

yet i cant see the cache file.. moreover the rest of the white papers arent
leading me to any correct solutions.

I need to enable kerberos 5 on my solaris machine.
Pls advise me how to proceed.

Many thanks,
Scotty

I suggest you read the installation guide, user guide, and admin guide
from the distribution:

  http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.6/#documentation  What the kdb5_util create command does is create a Kerberos Database for the purpose of establishing a new Kerberos realm   This database is the back-end for the Key Distribution Center.  This is the Kerberos service that authenticates users and issues tickets for accessing services.    A credential cache is not located on the KDC.  A credential cache is located on the client machine and is created only after a user performs an initial authentication against the KDC and receives back a Ticket Granting Ticket.  Jeffrey Altman Secure Endpoints Inc.        --------------------------------- Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates. ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list           Kerberos at mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

--
Stephen E. Canell
Sr Engineer, UNIX System Administrator