kinit problem

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Sun Feb 4 01:49:00 EST 2007

scotty adams wrote:
> hi Jeffrey,
>
>  Thanks for your reply i will go over the doc but i got one question.
> Why am i getting the following error prompt?
> kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while getting
>  initial credentials
>
>  I never faced such an error before formatting the machine
>
>  Can you please give me some clues?
>
>  Thanks.
> > Scotty
The error means what it says.   The kerberos 5 libraries cannot contact
any KDC for the requested realm.

(1) Is the correct realm being specified?

(2) Is there an entry for the realm in your krb5.conf file?

(3) Does the realm entry in the krb5.conf file contain entries for the KDCs?

(4) If not, are there DNS SRV records specifying the KDCs for the realm?

(5) If so, are DNS lookups enabled in the krb5.conf file?

(6) If you believe all of this information is correct, try capturing the
network traffic with tcpdump and see what is actually taking place.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.