Account lockout support in Solaris 10 when authenticating againstKerberos

Yu, Ming Ming.Yu at ipc.com
Mon Dec 10 21:02:36 EST 2007

Russ,

   Thanks for the help.

   That is th info I am looking for.

   Ming

----- Original Message -----
From: kerberos-bounces at mit.edu <kerberos-bounces at mit.edu>
To: kerberos at mit.edu <kerberos at mit.edu>
Sent: Mon Dec 10 20:45:49 2007
Subject: Re: Account lockout support in Solaris 10 when authenticating againstKerberos

"Yu, Ming" <Ming.Yu at ipc.com> writes:

>   But I am still not clear how to "lock out" account after n-times of
>   failed login.
>
>   Are you saying there is no way to do it in current version of MIT
>   kerberos?

Right, there's no way to do it at a Kerberos level.  There are various
things that you can do within the service that's authenticating, but it
may require development on your part.  (For example, if you're
authenticating the user via PAM, you could store the PAM failure count
somewhere and reject logins to that user once the failures reach a
particular threshold, something you could do without modifying anything
about how Kerberos works.)

Converting a failed authentication compromise into a denial of service
attack is generally a stupid idea, IMO.  Far better to start rejecting
packets from a host that's apparently trying to do a dictionary attack.