"Key table entry not found while verifying ticket for server"

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Sun Aug 5 12:53:29 EDT 2007

Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> Peter Losher wrote:
>> Yup, I had fatfingered the hostname during the initial OS install;
>> what you said above reminded me to check the one place I hadn't
>> updated - /etc/hosts. :)
>
> /etc/hosts??? That doesn't sound like a place ISC would use! Does the
> install process create an entry in hosts?

The install process for nearly all UNIX OSes puts an entry into the
/etc/hosts file.

On some platforms, this end ups as something like:
127.0.0.1 hostname localhost.localdomain localhost

This is bad for Kerberos, although it works for laptops where the
non-local IP may keep changing.

Kerberos needs an entry that returns a fqdn for the host using a valid
external IP, like:
18.4.5.6 validhost.in.dns.fqdn.edu validhost

This is a very common problem for users asking for help in the #kerberos
IRC channel.

<<CDC