"Key table entry not found while verifying ticket for server"

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 5 03:55:40 EDT 2007

Peter Losher <Peter_Losher at isc.org> writes:

> Just added a new system tonight to our Kerberos realm, and was getting
> the following error when ksu'ing:

> "ksu: Key table entry not found while verifying ticket for server"

> Tried Googling for the error to no avail; what is the meaning of this
> error and how do I clear it?

Either the system doesn't have a keytab or the keytab that it has doesn't
contain a key for what ksu thinks it should use.  ksu tries to obtain a
service ticket for host/<fully-qualified-hostname>, so a common cause of
this is a mismatch between what DNS and/or /etc/hosts thinks the name of
the machine is and what's in the keytab.