.msi packages

Asanka Herath asanka at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Aug 1 17:18:16 EDT 2007

> My question is, does anyone know where to edit
> the .msi so the custom files will always overwrite the existing files?

I assume you were following the instructions in the "MSI Deployment Guide".

If you want your custom configuration files to overwrite the files on
the user's machine, you should change the 'Attributes' field of your
custom components to exclude the
msidbComponentAttributesNeverOverwrite flag.  In other words, set the
'Attributes' field of your custom components to 16, instead of 144.

One caveat.  This will not overwrite if the configuration files on the
user's machine have been modified.  Windows Installer considers a file
to be modified if the date the file was last modified is more recent
than the date it was created.

- Asanka Herath
Secure Endpoints Inc.