Mod_auth_kerb and Windows XP SP2

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Apr 17 03:33:49 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:34:42 -0400
"Gopalan, Sriram" <sgopalan at etrade.com> wrote:

> Allen,
>
> Thanks for you response.
> 1. I have seen auth dialog pops up on FF and IE after ctrl-alt-del (1
> hour). But, its not consistant.
> 2. If I leave my desktop idle for 10 mins, out corporate policy locks
> the desktop, but it doesn't create a new ticket when I unlock it.
>    Not sure if that's controlled by GPO.
> 3. For sure it creates a new TGT or renews the TGT when I manually lock
> and unlock.

This sounds like a completely different problem which has been discussed
on the mod_auth_kerb list previously. And for which there was no
resolution.

> Next time when this happens I will run the klist and check the ticket
> EndTime.
>
> I was able to confirmed that, if the server is IIS it switch to NTLM on
> this scenario, where as mod_auth_kerb doesn't support NTLM.

If you can reproduce the problem with IIS that sounds like precedence
for requesting an explaination from MS.

> Actually we are seeing the same sympotms as mentioned in the KB article.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885887
> But the DLL version I have here is 5.1.2600.2698. Which is higher than
> whats mentioned on the article.

This sounds like a simple domain controller availability issue. Perhaps
mod_auth_kerb or libkrb5 could benifit from some retry capability.

Mike