kdb5_util dump and load questions

Matthew B. Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Sat Apr 7 21:08:47 EDT 2007

I did a kdb5_util dump and a kdb5_util dump -ov from Kerberos 5 version
1.4.1, the -ov option generates some warnings:

[root at s1 krb5kdc]# kdb5_util dump s1-old-kdb-dump
[root at s1 krb5kdc]# kdb5_util dump -ov s1-old-kdb-dump.ov
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testua at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testua at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testuc at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testuc at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testud at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testuf at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
Warning! No DES-CBC-CRC key for principal testuf at DEVMINES.EDU, cannot
generate OV-compatible record; skipping
[root at s1 krb5kdc]#

When I try to import the file into Kerberos 5 version 1.5.2 I get more
messages:

[root at s1 krb5kdc]# kdb5_util load s1-old-kdb-dump
[root at s1 krb5kdc]# kdb5_util load -update s1-old-kdb-dump.ov
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testua at DEVMINES.EDU
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testua at DEVMINES.EDU
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testuc at DEVMINES.EDU
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testuc at DEVMINES.EDU
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testud at DEVMINES.EDU
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testuf at DEVMINES.EDU
(null): Unknown code imp 4 testuf at DEVMINES.EDU
[root at sixoften krb5kdc]#

What do the warnings from the dump mean?

Also, what does the corresponding error from the load mean?

There are other principals in the kdc that do not generate any warnings
or errors.  In kadmin the the principals look fine after the load.
Unfortunately, I do not have passwords for these principals.

Thank You.

Matt
mbrookov at mines.edu