API help with ticket expiry

Keagle, Chuck chuck.keagle at boeing.com
Fri Sep 29 16:05:18 EDT 2006

Maybe a more detailed explanation is necessary here.

We managed a 24x7 set of Batch Queuing Servers.

We have thousands of users.

Users often work under project deadlines and stack-up the Batch Queuing
Manager with many jobs.  Once, the number of jobs hit 250,000.

We are moving toward Kerberos and NFS V4 to protect sensitive data.

Credentials are UID based.  Once a user has a Credential, that
interactive user can run as many jobs as necessary, even log out and
back in, until the Credential expires, without having to renew it or
create a new one.

In integrating that into the Batch Queueing System, here is the sequence
of events:

	1.  When user submits a job, Kerberos username & password
prompted for
	2.  Username & password immediately encrypted.
	3.  Clear text entry memory locations are cleaned.
	4.  Kerberos username and password are validated to be correct.
	5.  Encrypted username & password now part of job stream.
	6.  Sometime in the future Batch Queuing Master sends job to
Server.
	7.  Batch Queueing Server, needs to have a Kerberos Credential
for job.
	8.  If one exists it will be used.
	9.  If expiration is less than 25% of endtime - starttime away,
it gets new one.
	A.  If one doesn't exist, one is obtained.
	B.  It never does a renew.  Job run time could exceed maximum
lifetime.
	C.  Periodically, get new Credential if expiration time is
nearing.

I have coded steps 1 - 7 into the Batch Queuing System Submitter and
Server using API calls.

Granted, step 5 is risky, but management has accepted it, and I have to
do it.

Step 8 is where I am now.  Since klist finds existing Credentials I'm
working doing something similarly within the Batch Queuing Server with
API calls.

Step B was my choice to make coding a little easier.

Does this give you a little more info about my thought process?  :-)

Thanks for hangin' in there with me.  I'm under a deadline to have this
all working by the end of October.  This was my first exposure to
Kerberos so I'm learning as I go.

----
Not all who wander are lost.

Chuck Keagle              |  -------  \ <,  |  Work:  (425) 865-1488