KfW unattended access using keytab

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Thu Sep 21 13:39:09 EDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
>
>>    - I notice even the command line tools will display error messages
>> in a windows popup.  Is there anyway to prevent this?  Since the build
>> machines are unattended a Windows popup can cause problems, since the
>> command that caused it (eg kinit) won't terminate until the "OK" button
>> on the Windows popup is clicked.
>
> What dialogs are you referring to?  With what commands were the dialogs
> obtained?

It appears to be any error message, for example if you type "klist" when
there's no credential cache or "kinit -k bogus" where "bogus" doesn't
exist.

BUT... one very important thing I noticed AFTER sending the first message.
The error messages only appear in a Windows popup when they're run from a
Cygwin bash shell... AND... more then that... only (it seems) if the shell
is started via the rxvt Cygwin command.  If the bash shell is started via
cmd.exe, then the error messages are NOT Windows pop-ups.

Soo... I suspect rxvt is somehow interpreting the output as something
other then stdout or stderr.  I can prevent the popup by redirecting
stderr to /dev/null (klist 2> /dev/null), but oddly, redirecting stderr to
a file does NOT prevent the popup (klist 2> klist.err).

Does stderr from a Windows-based command somehow look different then
stderr from a Cygwin-based command?