KfW unattended access using keytab

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Wed Sep 20 23:16:22 EDT 2006

I need to get kerberos access from an unattended Windows machine.  The
machine is used for automatic source code builds.

All builds are started from either a DOS command shell and batch files or
from a Cygwin shell and perl scripts.  In other words, no GUI interaction.

A few questions related to using kinit with a keytab file....

   - If only command line tools are used (kinit, klist, kdestroy), is there
any reason to start the Network Identity Manager?

   - I notice even the command line tools will display error messages in a
windows popup.  Is there anyway to prevent this?  Since the build machines
are unattended a Windows popup can cause problems, since the command that
caused it (eg kinit) won't terminate until the "OK" button on the Windows
popup is clicked.