Starting kpropd as a service in Solaris 10

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Thu Sep 14 22:46:17 EDT 2006

Mike Friedman <mikef at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I'm putting up a KDC (krb5-1.4.2) on a Solaris 10 system, an OS that
> new to me (I've installed MIT K5 on Solaris 8 and 9 and other
> systems).
> It seems that kpropd won't start correctly from inetd.conf, though if
> I run it standalone (-S option) it works fine.
>
> I know that Solaris 10 introduces the 'smf' facility for managing
> services, so I figure this has something to do with the problem. But
> so
> far our sysadmin, and our Sun contact apparently, has nothing further
> to suggest.
>
> The sysadmin has tried several times to 'refresh' inetd via smf
> commands, to no avail.

Did you read the lines at the top of the inetd.conf file?

Specifically the:
# Any records remaining in this file after installation or upgrade,
# or later created by installing additional software, must be converted
# to smf(5) services and imported into the smf repository using
# inetconv(1M), otherwise the service will not be available.  Once
# a service has been converted using inetconv, further changes made to
# its entry here are not reflected in the service.

Also, having run KDCs on Solaris 10, I highly recomend that you do not
install Sun's packages if you are using MIT.  It gets very confusing.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM at UIUC SysAdmin