Is it possible to use the Windows 2003 user names instead of pre-Windows 2000 user names in Windows Authentication?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Sep 6 16:32:40 EDT 2006

MaURiCe wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to get username information by using
> User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given
> network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username.
> Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname at SERVERNAME.com" it again
> returns SERVERNAME/username although i want it to return
> "name.surname".

Sound like you are trying to retrieve the Kerberos principal name,
but the function you are using is returning the account name.
In Windows an account can have multiple principal names.

You might be able to get the client principal name from the Kerberos
ticket. To see if is even possible, install the Microsoft klist or
kerbtray programs which can look at the tickets and see if the principal
name is preserved.