[Fwd: Re: krb5 malformed over satellite link]

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Sep 6 16:14:49 EDT 2006

Sandeep Bhardwaj wrote:

> Hi
> thanks for you response
> the max MTU supporte by the VSAT modem in 1500= 1480+20header and we are
> not
> using VPNor IPSEC
> but i tried putting a route with simple gre tunnel and system worked..
> we were using some sort of header compressing a Bandwidth saving feature we
> had to disable that also may bcoz it was altering the encrypted header of
> KRB5 packet and system works now
>
> but i still see that perticular packet 1514+60 and it never gets reply
> i guess using TCP will be help full i will try that
> i can allready see in the trace that KRB5- AS -REQ gets a error
> KRB5krb_err-response_too_big and then it tries TCP and that works but the
> KRB5-TGS_REQ never tries to go to TCP
> may be i need to get that setting changed in krb5.conf [libdefaults] file
> But will it force all the communication to  be TCP

All Kerberos trafic between the client and KDC, which should include
the the TGS_REQ .As you noted above, the AS_REQ got a response to big, and
told the client to use TCP.  The client may have had problems sending the
TGS_REQ with UDP (and may never get to the KDC). The udp_preference_limit = 1 would
tell the client it to forget abouut using UDP, and just try TCP.

  can i use another value
> fro this "udp_preference_limit = 1
> " say 1400

Yes, but since you are talking to AD, most packets will be big, and you
might as well just use TCP to start with.

You might find this Microsoft article on UDP, TCP, VPN and fragmented
packets of interest:

  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244474/