LDAP Schema Design Suggestions?

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 24 21:19:04 EDT 2006

No, I'm not talking about using LDAP to store the back-end for a KDC.

I'm wondering if there are any thoughts or wisdom related to RFC 2307
(or successors) about how to store meta-information about Kerberos
principals.  That RFC defines schema's for "machines" and things with
IP numbers.  I also need to associate an "owner" for non-people
principals.

Probably incomplete list of information needed for non-people
principals:

Owner (either a uid for a given search base, or else a real-person
principal)
Backup Owner (in case the primary vanishes)
Renewal Date (so we can clean up, and maybe rotate keys)
Maybe a reference to the machine entry, if it isn't part of the
machine entry already.

For a machine, maybe a list of service principals extant?

Excuse the stream-of-consciousness presentation.  Trying to put this
in more formal requirements:

A machine may have multiple IP numbers.

An IP number may have multiple service principals.

A service principal has (at least) an owner, backup owner, and
renewal date.  (Maybe some duplicated info from the Kerberos DB.)

A service principal may be used to bind to LDAP (to get info about
users).

Are there any standard object classes (besides what's in 2307) that I
might use?  Any suggestions, comments?
----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu